HMQS 2013 Part 2 – Modern Quilts

I was very pleased to see a nice showing of modern quilts at HMQS so I decided to share with you a few of my personal favorites. Most were either part of the QuiltCon exhibit, the Salt Lake City modern quilt guild, or part of the HMQS modern category. A few were entered into some of the other categories, but I still think they had a modern flair.

Click here for part 1 of my HMQS wrap up. I’ll post more amazing quilts tomorrow.

Coloring Outside the LInes

Simple

Simple by Ellen Stallard
Watertown, TN 1st Place Modern

Roller Coaster Fun

Roller Coaster Fun by Jana O’Brien
Fort Collins, Colorado, Modern Category

Aren’t these such beautiful quilts? They have inspired me to go modern!

This entry was posted in Quilt Events and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to HMQS 2013 Part 2 – Modern Quilts

1. Pingback: Home Machine Quilting Show Droolworthy Quilts | The Snarky Quilter

2. Pingback: HMQS Top Winners! | The Modern Quilt Guild

3. craftysorcha says:

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

4. I love the Fire and Water Under the Bridge quilt! So modern! Thanks for sharing these pictures.

5. Michele says:

Very cool, each and every one of them. Thank you for sharing them.

6. jenetamasson says:

Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed looking at these – they sent me into a quilt design daydream!!

7. Claire Desrochers says:

Holy cow there are several I totally LOVE! Any patterns available?????

• Claire Desrochers says:

Darn! I just love the “fan” shaped quilt and several others and would really like to recreate them. I guess I’ll have to devise my own patterns lol

• marcella says:

The Jumbo Star quilt – there’s a free paper piecing pattern for the center of that on Craftsy called “Lone Starburst paper piecing template”, you’d just have to make it bigger. If that’s one of your favorites you’d at least have a starting spot.

8. Laura in Marfa says:

I’m really enjoying looking at these wonderful quilts! Thanks for posting them. I was at Quiltccon too and see Modern as a breath of fresh air. If I had to choose one that I like best, it would be Fractured Pi. The piecing and quilting compliment each other to make a coherent whole.

9. SewLindaAnn says:

Wow! Thank you for sharing these. I’m so inspired and love them all.

10. Connie says:

Thank you for sharing. The quilts are creative, unique, gorgeous, beautiful, rare and any other word that describes awesome.

11. Lots of yummy inspiration Christa :)

12. Mary Ann says:

I never get tired of looking at quilts of any kind. I really liked the log cabin pyramid. You take great photos.

13. claudia w says:

I really like the Roller Coaster Fun. It is very different and pretty! Thanks for sharing!

14. Sandi says:

Beautiful quilts. Thank you for sharing.

15. Susan says:

Unbelievable! I am so drawn to modern quilts lately (well for the last 6 months or so.) Thank you for sharing pictures of these beauties. BTW my favorite is Coloring Outside the Lines.

16. Colette says:

Simply stunning quilts, and how great that you could view them in person. I would have hated to have to judge them, they are gorgeous.

17. Marty Mason says:

Oh, and I do love Ellen Stallard’s “Simple”. Great choice for 1st place.

18. My favorite is the 5 HTP Squared. I always find myself more drawn to the modern quilts that are still reminiscent of traditional patterns.