Riley Blake MQG Challenge Quilt Post #1 – The Start

For Sew and Tell today, I’m excited to be participating in the Modern Quilt Guild’s upcoming challenge focusing on these Riley Blake prints:

Challenge Fabric

Riley Blake MQG Challenge Fabric

Each of the challenge participants received a fat 1/8th of each of these fabrics. We can add any other Riley Blake fabrics to the mix to create any type of quilted item we wish. Finished projects are due by February 17th and if I know me, I’m sure I’ll be finishing right under the wire. :-)

Since I’m not hosting any new Quilt Alongs for awhile (here’s why), I thought I would share some of my in-process quilts as they happen. I’m not sure how many blog posts it will take to complete this quilt, but I invite you along for the ride.

I started playing around with this block that I had designed a few months ago – parallel lines. I blogged about it here (including a free paper pieced template to make it).

Parallel Lines

Parallel Lines block by Christa Watson

What if I added additional lines, sewed them more randomly, and filled them in with color? I thought it would be fun to piece a few improvisational “string” blocks and leave a little negative space to add extra machine quilting texture (my #1 passion)! I’m thinking maybe light or dark grey for the background negative space. What do you think?

Improv String BlockImprov String Block

I started by doodling a few improv blocks in EQ7 and cutting out some strips. (Anyone else get the irony of planned improv blocks?) I’ll be back next time to show you how they are shaping up!

This entry was posted in Challenges and Contests, Christa's Quilts, Sew and Tell and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Riley Blake MQG Challenge Quilt Post #1 – The Start

1. Ebby Lewis says:

Hello Christa,

I just got home from work to find a package in the mail box! This made my day! I had been waiting to order the string of pearls fat quarters and my husband said ‘what are you waiting for?’ So I ordered the fat quarters, and two of your quilting kits…one is still coming! Your shipping is prompt, the fabrics are beautiful and I have really enjoyed your quilt alongs. Take care and thank you!

Kindest regards, Ebby Lewis a/k/a Mrs. Smith

Sent from my iPad

2. dezertsuz says:

While things do stand out more on the gray, those are also darker prints, it seems to me. I like the blending on the white, but either way, it’s going to be interesting. While meaning one of improvise includes the words “without planning,” meaning two said “produce from what’s available.” I think sometimes that takes planning! =)

3. This is a great design idea, and I do think it’s funny that you’re planning improv blocks, ha! I understand though!
    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

4. my studioQ says:

The gray really makes the Riley Blake patterns pop! But whatever you do is always stunning!

5. SamanthaK says:

I think the colors stand out better on the gray-it almost brightens the whole block up. I can’t wait to see what you decide :)

6. Debi Bielawski says:

To plan or not I plan but as you know something always goes down that was not planned. ..so I see the irony. I do like the dark gray but I have a question. Have you thought about your quilting design? I know you FMQ is awesome . I want you to put EMPHASIS om that..so PLAN to use color in the thread..varigated. or bold coler improv the stitches. Not planning a deaign in tje negative space.so the light gray might be better .
    Or

7. Kim M says:

I really like the dark gray!

8. Yeah I get the planned improv, well the part of planning it anyway. I haven’t quite learned how to do the unplanned of anything in quilting yet. I like the right with the gray.

9. Leigh Anne says:

This is how I would do improv as well :)

10. Teje says:

Hi! Looks great! I’m not good with improv blocks as I start to plan too much. x Teje

I really like the gray. It is the ‘modern’ look you like so much. Either way….it will be beautiful!

12. Alison says:

I always enjoy Riley Blake designs, and I am particularly attracted to modern quilts – therefore I’m a fan of your blog!