How to Make Quilting Your Business #1 – Introduction

Over the years I’ve had many people ask about different aspects of my quilting career and how they can get started turning their passion into a business. With the start of a new year, I thought it would be a fun to write up a series based on my personal experiences, with occasional tips and pointers from some of my friends and colleagues in the industry.

ChristaQuiltsAlthough I am by no means an expert, I will be happy to share my thoughts and encouragement for any of you thinking of making quilting your business. After all, don’t you agree that sharing makes the (quilting) world a better place?

My plan is to blog about this topic on a regular basis (every week or two), exploring the subjects below. Click on each underlined link to go to that post.

This list may grow as the series develops. If you have other ideas you’d like me to discuss, or specific questions you have, please ask away. I may not reply directly, but will definitely incorporate your thoughts into future blog posts.

A quick word about the “business” side of things. Keeping records, filing taxes and setting up your business entity are probably the hardest things to do to get started. If you can handle the paperwork, you can handle anything!

I’m not going to business legalities in detail other than to encourage you to take the first step by setting up a separate bank account and contacting your local tax office to file the appropriate business documents. It varies by state or country, but most states’ governments have a wealth of information online and can walk you through the process.

For a quick definition of the different types of US business entities to choose from, you can read this post that I found online after doing a quick search. For specific business questions you may have, be sure to google it and you can literally spend hours online learning everything you need to know!

Christa QuiltsOnce you’ve made the plunge to decide to create your own business, treat it as such. Set realistic goals and working hours for yourself. If you take yourself seriously, so will those around you. :-)

I’ll be back with this series next week, sharing my thoughts on choosing a quilting career!

This entry was posted in Business and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to How to Make Quilting Your Business #1 – Introduction

1. kris says:

Great Christa..I look forward to this series.

2. This sounds awesome! Love to see how the magic happens:)

3. Karin says:

Very interesting…looking forward to this. I love writing patterns and have just started to put some up on Craftsy. As this develops, I have come across the issue of getting templates I have drawn in a drawing program into my write up…currently researching this. So would be interested in the topic of pattern writing and what sorts of programs would be useful.

4. Joanie says:

Very much looking forward to your series!

5. Connie Campbell says:

Can’t wait to see more of your posts Christa!! This is a subject that interests everyone. I did craft shows and stores for over 7 years which was a lot of hard work but it also felt very rewarding! I remember at the time reading every book I could find on how to run a home based business and don’t forget your account is a great source of information. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

6. mrsbrooke says:

Oh, yay! I’m looking forward to this series. Thanks for taking the time to write down your thoughts on the topic.

7. This is a fabulous idea. Looking forward to reading your posts!

8. I’m looking forward to following along – thanks for sharing your knowledge about this, Christa!

9. Joy says:

So glad I found your blog last week. I’ll look forward to your business perspectives.

10. Thanks for taking the time to blog about this! I know I can’t break away from my full-time job just yet, but I’d as I look down the long road to the future, I’m interested to see if quilting could at least become some supplementary income.

11. That sounds really neat – I’m looking forward to hearing more. I would also be interested in hearing about your blog design and how to you make graphics, logos, etc.

12. Wendi Lauren Dickherber says:

What a great topic. Thanks for sharing your insight with us. I cant wait to read all about it!

13. Great idea, Christa! Looking forward to reading your posts on this series!

14. Cheryl says:

What a wonderful set of topics, I can’t wait.

15. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You’ll be helping a lot of people (especially me) in a tremendous way by doing this series.

16. treadlemusic says:

Great idea for a series!!! I had my own sewing business (bridal/formal wear) for many years. Located, at first, in a downtown (small town) location and then from my home. Both had pluses and minuses. I’ll wait to comment more as each topic unfolds. Hugs………………

17. Michele says:

Obviously from our past emails you know that I’ll be very interested in this series. Thank you for writing it. After owning one business in the past, I know that I can do this and with time I know that my dream will become a reality.

18. What a great idea Christa! Personally, I would love to get into pattern writing. I’ve started designing quite a bit, but I just don’t know how to start that part of it!
    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

19. sarahschraw says:

Good idea Christa! I know these are things a lot of quilters think about.

20. Lis Ostiguy says:

Christa

This is a wonderful series to do. Selling my quilts is something I would like to build upon. One of the hardest issues is to price the articles for sale. I find it hard to really get back the full investment of time and creativity. I would love it if you could address this problem in this series. I will be following your blog on this with great interest!

21. great idea! glad you are doing this and look forward to it.

22. Erin says:

This is a great idea, Christa. While I am a long way from trying to trun my sewing from hobby to business, I am looking forward to hearing all your insights. And soem of those tricks and tips I can start to do now, even beofre it becomes a business (like settign up a seperate bank account – even if it’;s just to keep track of what I’m really spending on fabric related purchases :-) )
    E xx

23. Christine says:

What a great series to blog about! I’m excited to learn more!

24. darlsc says:

Very interesting topics. I am looking forward to your blog posts (as always). Thank you Christa!

25. heatherdpear says:

This should be an interesting series. While I am curious about owning a quilt shop, I don’t plan to actually do it. It would cut into my stitching time. Thanks for doing this, I’ll be looking forward to each post.