Modern Dresden Block – Free Paper Pieced Pattern

I  designed the quilt below while flying on an airplane to our family vacation. It’s amazing what a little boredom on a plane ride can do, right? Now it’s on my “to make” list!

This my contemporary interpretation of a Dresden Plate block. I call it “Modern Dresden.”

Modern Dresden in OrangeI started with the idea of “plates” or “wedges” radiating out from a center. But instead of classic curves, I wanted to keep my design straight and angular. So I played around with lines and angles in EQ7 and this is what I came up with.

It’s a 6″ unit and 4 units are sewn together to create one Modern Dresden block.

Click the image below to download and print off my free PDF paper pieced pattern. Please note that I have not included basic paper piecing instructions along with this block. There are tons of blog tutorials on paper piecing, so just google it. :-)

Make as many copies as you like and play around with rotating block positions to see what other designs you can create.

Paper Pieced Modern Dresden

Paper Pieced Modern Dresden

Be sure to print the block size at 100%.

And just for the fun of it, here’s the same design in purple. It really sparkles by using lighter hues of the same color at the edges of the blocks.

Modern Dresden in PurpleIf you decide to make a few blocks, or even a whole quilt, please share them on my flickr group: Christa’s Quilt-Along.

Updated: This block has now been featured as a favorite on FaveQuilts.com. They renamed it Ultra Modern Dresden Block. Pretty cool, huh?

Click here to see my other featured tutorials.

EQClick here for the free EQ7 project download.

This entry was posted in Tutorials and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Modern Dresden Block – Free Paper Pieced Pattern

1. Jimmy Bandy says:

Imagine it with varying color wheeels

2. Dea Jae Shore says:

Great block! I’m with Pam. Can you post the EQ file?

3. sbrctag says:

Thanks so much for this! I am sharing it on my blog today as I challenge myself to clear out my ever-growing stash this year! http://thebeachyquilter.wordpress.com/

4. Pingback: Stash Busting in 2014 | The Beachy Quilter

5. Pam says:

I just love your modern Dresden block. I note that you drew it EQ 7. Is it possible to get a copy of the EQ file. I want to make the block smaller and I’m having difficulty drawing it.

Thank you.

6. JoAnn says:

Reblogged this on Rainbow Quilts and commented:
    Looks like an interesting block to try.

7. Ladyquilter says:

Interesting block for sure. Love to try something new and different. On my “to do” list for the holidays.

8. tweetyb421 says:

Quite a nice block! With this pattern and good color choices and placement this would be a stunning quilt…..

9. I love this block and what would happen if you just paper pieced the plate and appliqued it to the black? Or better yet take each part to the plate and had sew and then applique. I just may try all of it.

10. Carol says:

Directions would be nice so we can get started

11. charlotte says:

I love this block!!

12. Lynn C says:

Thinking of enlarging it to make the center of a medallion quilt.

13. Joyce says:

Beautiful!!! Makes me want to start quilting again!!

14. Carol Hinkle says:

Beautiful! Great designing, thanks so much for sharing this pattern. Can’t wait to get into my stash and see what colors I can make this block.

15. Sherry Robinson says:

I love it but how do you do the piecing? I printed off the paper pattern and can’t figure out how to start and what to do. HELP!!!!!
    Sherry in TX

• Christa says:

Thanks! I would refer you to some online tutorials or youtube for basic paper piecing instructions. Just google “paper piecing tutorial” and you will find a bazillion of them, LOL! Then apply those same techniques to the block. This gives me an idea – I will work up a tutorial on how to make the block later…. so stay tuned!

16. Pingback: amherst thread tales

17. jewell61 says:

I really love the design of this Dresden block. The colors that can make it pop are going to be fun.! Thank you.

18. stipplequilt says:

What a beautiful pattern and I can’t believe I missed it! Just saw it on 19 Paper Piecing Quilt Patterns at FaveQuilts.

19. Dorothy Holt says:

I love this block! Gonna try it for sure. :)

20. That is quite a stunning block!